Friday, August 21, 2015

Remember that Jeep computer hack?

Surprise!  It's not just Jeep:
Now, according to a report in Wired, that a host of similar systems used by other car manufacturers are vulnerable to similar attacks:
Over the last week, Kamkar has analyzed the iOS apps of BMW’s Remote, Mercedes-Benz mbrace, Chrysler Uconnect, and the alarm system Viper’s Smartstart, and found that all of those internet-connected vehicle services are vulnerable to the attack he used to hack GM’s OnStar RemoteLink app.

"If you’re using any of these four apps, I can automatically get all of your log-in information and then indefinitely authenticate as you," says Kamkar. "These apps give me different levels of control of your car. But they all give me some amount of control."
And $100 says it's not just Jeep, BMW, and Mercedes ...

4 comments:

matism said...

In the initial report on the hack, they admitted there were a significant number of vehicles they could have done, including the Cadillac Escalade. They merely chose to go after the easiest target initially. I suspect they also understood what would happen to them if they dared touch Government Motors.

Ken said...

I keep saying I'm going to find a cherry '71 Duster for a hot rod. Now I'm thinking the Duster for an everyday driver and a '32 highboy for a hot rod. Sheesh.

tsquared said...

Ride a motorcycle or drive a car with points and condenser.


I guess that is why I have the ElectraGlide and the 74 Corvette.

matism said...

But what, Tony Tsquared, are you gonna do for gas?

"The Road Warrior" was not real.