Monday, November 17, 2014

Environmentalist discovers science

He apologizes for his past activism:
I want to start with some apologies. For the record, here and upfront, I apologize for having spent several years ripping up GM crops. I am also sorry that I helped to start the anti-GM movement back in the mid 1990s, and that I thereby assisted in demonising an important technological option which can be used to benefit the environment.

...

So I guess you’ll be wondering – what happened between 1995 and now that made me not only change my mind but come here and admit it? Well, the answer is fairly simple: I discovered science, and in the process I hope I became a better environmentalist.
It's quite a long and detailed apology.  Nicely done.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Doxxing and death threats in 5...4...3...

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Except, of course, he still hasn't learned enough about science to overcome his unquestioning assumptions about climate change, and he still seems to assume that "peer reviewed publication" = "unassailable FACT".

This sentence about sums up his continuing misunderstandings about science:
"So I lectured them about the value of peer-review, about the importance of scientific consensus and how the only facts that mattered were the ones published in the most distinguished scholarly journals." [emphasis mine]