Saturday, August 9, 2014

Bob Dylan (with Johnny Cash) - Girl From The North Country

Country Music's roots go deep, and its influence goes far beyond Nashville.  No less than America's greatest songwriter released in 1969 what can only be described as a country music album, Nashville Skyline.  No less than Johnny Cash - at the height of his commercial success - sang with him on this track.  In fact, the album got its launch with an appearance by Dylan on Cash's TV show.

So why do so many artists go through a "country period" (a recent example of this is Jon Bon Jovi)?  Commercial success is a cynical reason, although Nashville Skyline was Dylan's third best selling album.  A kinder answer is that the roots of country music do indeed run deep, and are entwined with so many facets of this land that it's more or less inescapable to an artist who inspires to greatness.

In any case, this song has been covered by pretty much everyone from Waylon Jennings to Rod Stewart.  Niche, shattered.



Girl From The North Country (Songwriter: Bob Dylan)
If you're traveling in the north country fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to one who lives there
'Cause she once was a true love of mine

If you're goin' when the snowflakes storm
When the rivers freeze and summer ends
Please see she has a coat so warm
To keep her from the howling winds
Please see for her hair hangs long
It rolls and flows all down her breasts
Please see for me that her hair's hanging long
For that's the way I remember her best
I'm a-wondering if she remembers me at all
Many times I've often prayed
In the darkness of my night
In the brightness of my day
So if you're traveling in the north country fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to the one who lives there
'Cause she once was a true love of mine

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Oldie but a goody... I actually remember hearing that when it first came out!